Safety Tips to Beat the Heat
As we wind down and move into the end of summer it’s important to regularly practice outdoor safety tips. Your health and wellbeing are important and should be protected during excessive heat. Below are some useful tips and please enjoy the rest of your summer!
Tips For Heat Safety
- Hydrate! If you are exercising during the heat, always carry water with you and drink frequently. The rule of thumb is that if you are feeling thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Avoid added sugars in your drinks.
- Wear sunscreen and reapply frequently. Read Summer Sun Safety for more tips.
- If bugs are a problem, please remember to wear protective layers and use bug spray.
- Don’t push yourself and know when to take a break.
- Heat strain and heat stroke can cause serious damage to your body. I’ve experienced these symptoms and I was lucky enough to rest and rehydrate in order to recover. Symptoms include:
- Painful muscle spasms
- No sweating
- Clamminess and pale skin
Finally, due to the heat and dry conditions, always remember to put out campfires and avoid potential fire hazards.